Registers and records
We currently hold the following Registers of Baptisms, Confirmations, Banns of Marriage and Marriages (all for St Michael’s only):
Banns of Marriage: 1982-present
All surviving earlier Registers and certain other important records for both St Michael & All Angels London Fields and St. Paul’s Haggerston have been archived at:
London Metropolitan Archives
40 Northampton Road, Clerkenwell, London EC1R 0HB
Telephone: 020 7332 3820
You can view the catalogues of records held at London Metropolitan Archives for St Michael’s here and St. Paul’s Haggerston here.
There has been a community of people worshipping God in London Fields for over 150 years, ever since the first St Michael & All Angels church, in Lamb Lane to the East of London Fields, was consecrated in 1864. The Victorian church served the parish until it was irreparably damaged by bombing in 1945.
St Michael’s parish includes the former parish of St. Paul’s Haggerston. St. Paul’s church was built in 1860 on a site facing Marlborough Avenue which is now occupied by St. Paul’s with St Michael’s School. The church was closed and demolished around 1970, and on 1 August 1971 St Paul’s parish was united with St Michael’s to form the united benefice of St Michael & All Angels London Fields with St. Paul’s Haggerston, the title it retains to this day.
The current church is a striking Grade 2 listed building on the west side of London Fields and was consecrated in February 1961. It was designed by the architect Nugent F. Cachmaille-Day (1896-1976) and is a fine example of the influence of the Liturgical Movement on church architecture and art.
The design and decoration of St. Michael’s does much to create a joyful sense of God at the heart of the community in London Fields. For further information about the John Hayward sculpture over the front door, and the murals and stained glass which decorate the interior of the church, see here.