News, Events and Special Services
Week of Prayer for Christian Unity For more than a century the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity has been celebrated on 18-25 January, the 8 days (‘octave’) up to and including the feast of the conversion of St Paul the Apostle (described in the Acts of the Apostles, Chapter 9). This year, local churches of different denominations are once again marking the Week of Prayer by holding short services in different churches each day of the Week, to which all are invited. The services will follow this year’s theme suggested by the World Council of Churches: Justice and only justice you shall pursue (Deuteronomy 16:18-20). The detailed programme is:
• Friday 18th 12 noon at St John of Jerusalem, Lauriston Road, E9 7DH
• Saturday 19th 11am at Frampton Park Baptist Church, Frampton Park Road, E9 7PQ
• Sunday 20th 4.00pm Main Ecumenical Service at Hampden Chapel Assemblies of God Pentecostal Church, Lauriston Road, E9 7EU
• Monday 21st 9.30am at St. Michael’s
• Tuesday 22nd 2pm at St Joseph’s Hospice, Mare Street, E8 4SA
• Wednesday 23rd 2pm (lunch 12.00-1.45pm) at The Salvation Army, 70 Mare Street, E8 4RT
• Thursday 24th 6pm at Hackney Methodist Church, 219 Mare Street, E8 3QE
• Friday 25th 12 noon at St. Columba’s Barge, East Canal Side, East Bay Lane, E20 3BS (Go along Eastway towards Stratford, passing St Mary of Eton on your left. It is a big white barge on the canal just by the bridge on your right-hand side.)
Discovery Lunch ⋅ fortnightly on Thursdays (next one 24 January)⋅ 1-3pm
Discovery Lunch is an opportunity to find out more about God, the Bible and Christian faith and life, make friends, eat, pray and chat. All welcome. Come in the hall doors on Lavender Grove – we gather in the meeting room on the left.
Messy Church ⋅ usually Third Sunday of the month ⋅ 4.30pm (NB The next one will be at St. Paul’s Cathedral on Saturday 2 February, 10.30am-12.30pm. Please let the Vicar know if you are planning to go and book places here.)
Messy Church is church with a difference for all ages: an activity based learning time on a Bible theme in a relaxed space, ending with a celebration in story, prayer, shared food and a short separate session for Messy Youth (Yr6+). Tea/coffee/juice are served throughout. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Candlemas 8.45am (Quiet Eucharist) and 10am (All Age Eucharist) on Sunday 3 February
Our 40-day celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ concludes with the feast of the Presentation of Christ in the Temple.