News, Events and Special Services
Ash Wednesday Eucharist 7.30pm on Wednesday 1 March with ashing. We begin the solemn 40 days of Lent, a season of penitence and preparation for Good Friday and Easter.
Lent is traditionally a time for reflection and exploration, and it is helpful to be able to do this in the company of others. Our South Hackney Ecumenical Lent Groups this year consist of 5 sessions on Wednesdays run jointly with other local churches in which we have the opportunity to explore how Christian faith has been deepened and enriched by encounters with people of different religions. Details below:
Opening Service: Ash Wednesday – Wed 1 March, 7.30pm, at St Michael’s
Lent Groups: Choose the time of day that suits you best:
4pm (refreshments), 4.30pm start, or 7pm (refreshments), 7.30pm start
• Week 1 – 8 March: Introduction: A journey into the Wilderness at St John of Jerusalem, Lauriston Road E9 7DH
• Week 2 – 15 March: The Remembrance of God’s Name: Christians in Conversation with Sikhs at Hackney Methodist Church, 219 Mare Street, E8 3QE
• Week 3 – 22 March: Fasting: Christians in Conversation with Muslims at Hampden Chapel Assemblies of God Pentecostal Church, Lauriston Road, E9 7EU
• Week 4 – 29 March: Greed, Non-Attachment and Compassion: Christians in Conversation with Buddhists here at St Michael’s
• Week 5 – 5 April: The Crucified Jew: Christians in Conversation with Judaism at Frampton Park Baptist Church, Frampton Park Road E9 7PQ
All welcome. For more information, contact Daniel.
Free Legal Advice Surgery on the first Tuesday of each month
A local firm of solicitors, Malcolm & Co, are offering a free legal advice session in the Meeting Room from 12 noon to 1.30pm on the first Tuesday of each month. All welcome. Entrance via the hall (not church).
Youth Group ⋅ Second Sunday of the month, during the 10am Parish Eucharist
Building faith and friendships for young people aged 11-18. Youth Group members also have the opportunity to attend one Friday Youth Encounter each month at St John’s Hoxton. For details contact the Vicar.
Messy Church ⋅ Third Sunday of the month ⋅ 4.30-5.30pm
Messy Church is church with a difference for all ages, aimed at people who don’t normally get to Church and would like to try a different approach: a relaxed space and an activity based learning time on a Bible theme including a short celebration with story, song and prayer.
Tea/coffee/juice are served throughout and we finish around the table with a sandwich tea. Children must always be accompanied by an adult.
For school age children. The next one will be on Saturday 8 April 2-4pm in the Church Hall. For details contact the Vicar.